Thursday, October 18, 2007

METROWEST DAILY NEWS OR WEEKLY WORLD NEWS?

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20)

This morning, as usual, I received my copy of the MetroWest Daily News by 6 a.m. and proceeded to look through it over a bowl of cereal. The past 24 hours must have been a "slow news day"! One of the main, front page, "top fold" stories was, "Car Shop Wages in Need of Repair?" It was about auto body men who want to make $40 an hour instead of $35 an hour. I did not know the state regulated that, but it does (which is crazy in my opinion!). As a young guy in his early twenties, my brother did body work. When I read what auto body workers make, I think maybe he had the right idea. Who needed college when you could make THAT kind of money?!

The other "top fold" story was called "Tangled Golden Retrieved" It was
about a dog who got caught in some ropes while dog paddling at Learned's Pond in Framingham. His owner, George Butterly of Framingham, pulled the emergency box at the beach, and the fire department responded. According to the article, it took a firefighter in a wet suit and a boat to rescue the dog. I know this is going to sound very "Andy Rooney-ish" of me, but there's a whole other story that the reporter (Norman Miller) completely missed. I certainly have no
problem with rescuing the dog, BUT Learned's Pond beach and property is closed to the public. If you stop by there (as I did this morning) you'll find that there are several large signs posted (in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) stating "BEACH CLOSED NO TRESPASSING". I THINK there also used to be a "No Dogs" sign. I could not find any sign specifically prohibiting dogs, but that really is a moot point because I could find several signs prohibiting people (and one would assume their dogs, too) from trespassing. Come to think of it, Framingham has a leash law for dogs? What about that? Is George Butterly of Framingham going to be cited for trespassing and for not having his dog leashed? I'd
cite him. If that sounds harsh to you, you can certainly talk to a Town
Meeting Member of someone on the Board of Selectmen about changing those laws.

On the "OP/ED" Page there was a bizarre column by "Roger Reidy- Local Columnist" entitled "Catholic Bedrooms Exposed onFox News". If I understand Reidy's column correctly, he is a devout (I'd say "fanatical") Roman Catholic who believes any Catholic who "practices" any form of artificial birth control will burn in Hell. He definitely believes such Catholics should not receive Holy Communion. My guess is that would knock out at least 85% of Catholic adults. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-life and anti-abortion. I also think it can be very bad (health wise) for a woman to be on the "pill" for more than a few years. But, really! With ALL the problems in the world, and all the sin in the world, THAT'S the big deal?! I have 3 grown kids of my own and I consider myself
"Pro Family", but once a couple has had 5 or 4 or 3 or even 2 kids, is there really anything wrong with them deciding they can't afford to have any more kids and with then using artificial birth control? Would Jesus really condemn them? As I understand chapters such as I Corinthians 7, I don't think Jesus would.

By the time I got through with today's MetroWest Daily News I wondered, "Was that REALLY the MetroWest Daily News, or was it something else...like maybe the old WEEKLY WORLD NEWS come back to life?!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Metrowest Daily News is a mess.  It's not worth the price you pay for it.  This so called "newspaper of the year" must not have much competition.  Imagine what the quality of the "runner up" newspapers are like.  

Anonymous said...

Sheesh... those articles sound boring...

I feel bad for the dog, but I don't see why you would want to swim in that water anyway... it's gross.

And if you have a bunch of kids, I don't see the problem with birth control... better to do that than keep having kids and not be able to support them... but I hate birth control pills and that sort of stuff... there's too much of "side effects include nausia, nose bleeding, and death" -- oh, lovely.