Monday, October 15, 2007

WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CALENDAR?

“...forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before.” (from Philippians 3:3)

Many of you may recognize that the title “What Color is Your Calendar?” is a takeoff on the famous job hunting book, “What Color is Your Parachute?”.  Ever find yourself just plain doing a “Marathon Calendar” week?  It’s a week where you look at your calendar (yes, I still use traditional, old-fashioned paper calendars and datebooks and not the electronic stuff) and just do a double take and think, “You gotta be kidding!”?  Well, I’m on one of those Marathon Calendar weeks right now.

A couple of weeks ago, I actually “begged out” of one event that would have involved most of this Tuesday, and then another meeting that I was planning to attend on Tuesday ended up being moved.  Now, I realize how “Providential” all of that was, to use a word my later mother often used.  I’m not a “night person” at all, but I’m now in a schedule where I’m out every night for nights and nights on end.  It started with leading our church’s Friday night Bible Study (as I always do), then the New England Aftercare (“The Bridge House”) annual banquet was on Saturday evening.  Yesterday, I had a commitment to drive a couple of people to Medford.  This involved me being in Medford from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.  I had all of that time to “kill”.  I did a lot of walking, including a lot of prayer and Bible reading.  I managed to hear the bulk of the Patriots game, and snippets of  “60 Minutes”. I also read a chapter of a book, and I paroused the MetroWest Daily News; but killing 8 hours in Medford is a “trip” and I really didn’t mean that as a pun!  Tonight, I’m in Medford again!  Then, Tuesday night I’m at a meeting in Marlboro.  Wednesday night is our church prayer meeting.  Thursday night is a church Board Meeting.  Friday night is that Bible Study again.  Saturday night is attending a play in Medford, and yes, that’s connected to all the driving to Medford.  Sunday we have a special guest at our church ministering in drama in the morning and in the evening.  Next Monday, I may be in a coma  :-) !

I usually take Tuesdays off.  This week I took Monday off and am working Tuesday.  (Well, I’ll bein Medford tonight from 6 to 10 so I guess that’s kind of “on”!)  I have leaves to rake and a lawn to mow today.  I absolutely don’t want to do that today, but somehow I have to motivate myself to!  No joke, I’m also committed this morning to drive a guy and his cat to an animal clinic to have the cat boarded.  His apartment is being totally renovated and he has to get the cat out of there for a week or so.

I actually left out a lot of  “stuff” I’m doing this week!  Pardon me while I try to keep my face from falling into the keyboard......


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I know how you feel... I've been having a crazy week, too. what's up with that?
The musical and especially costumes are driving me crazy... I hope next semester I don't have to costume design... plus my seamstress is giving me ulcers and with all that going on, doing my homework has been a challenge... I've been up til 1 am for the past 4 nights... I'm exhausted, and I bet you are too.

I have not idea what colours of parachutes are... must be before my time...

I heard the Patriots won their game last night! woo! If you get board in Medford, you could always go to a movie... or bring cards and play solitaire... or learn to juggle... just suggestions.

If you do go in a coma, would you care if I came in and drew on your face? It'd be funny...