Thursday, October 4, 2007

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:  But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”  (Matthew 5:38-39)

Those words from the Sermon on the Mount can be among the most difficult for “Born Again Christians” to deal with.  There are actually a number of New Testament references which APPEAR to contradict them.  Without turning this piece into a lengthy theological dissitation, I think the context has a lot to do with how we understand and apply Matthew 5:38-39.  Nevertheless, devout Christians frequently find themselves put over a barrel (no pun intended on my last name) when dealing with difficult and unreasonable people- especially “unchurched” people.  Granted Jesus loves them and died on the cross for them.  Granted we are to extend grace and mercy and all that good stuff to them.  But that certainly doesn’t mean (for instance) that we let Charles Manson out of jail, or that Osama Ben Laden is a nice guy.

Our church facility is located in what could be called a “low income” neighborhood of downtown Framingham.  Our current facility (we were in a previous location for decades), purchased in 1994, was the United Auto Workers Union Hall.  The early days in that neighborhood were a challenge.  Most of the people in the immediate neighborhood were Hispanic, with a smattering of whites, blacks, and Brazilians.  Some were very nice people.  But many were hardened “street types” who took all they could get in any situation and had a “what are you gonna do about it?” kind of  an “in your face” attitude.  It would take me many paragraphs to talk about the early years in the South St. neighborhood.  The GOOD news is that the neighborhood is actually nicer and safer than in was in 1994.  The caliber of the people has improved.  A problematic bar across the street went out of business and that property has since been sold.  A number of cosmetic improvements have been made in the neighborhood.  But, as I tell people, “It’s not Weston!”.

We are blessed to own 2 parking lots...a paved lot which parks 34 cars immediately behind our building AND a dirt/gravel overflow lot immediately behind the paved lot which can park somewhere around 12 cars.  Back in the 1994-1995 era, we had huge problems with the parking lots.  People just used them like they owned them.  At times they’d be completely filled up with cars.  Those who parked there, (some from the neighborhood, and some wealthy commuters from Sherborn who’d park there to take the commuter rail into Boston), all took the attitude “I’ll park where I want to park and who the ____ are you to tell me otherwise?!”  We posted a NO PARKING sign, towed a number of cars, and made up a handout sheet with our parking policy.  Over the years, the number of “trespass” parkers in the lots greatly decreased.  In the past few years, I’ve typically had to have maybe 2 or 3 cars a year towed, but for the most part things have been quiet and there have not been any major problems...until recently.

There are two “problem parkers” who have come on the scene in 2007.  One is a Hispanic guy in a black Toyota “low rider”.  He’s been given a lot of notices, but as my late father would say, “He’s CUTE”...meaning, he’s smart enough not to REALLY push it.  His car may be constantly on our property for 2 or 3 days, but then you may not see it at all for a week or more.  He kind of knows when he may be “pushing it” and then he either parks on the street or stays away. I don’t think he lives in the neighborhood...I think he knows somebody in the neighborhood.  Much worse is the FEMALE owner of a maroon junky early 1990s 2dr. Honda.. About 6 weeks ago, that car began showing up regularly.  The thing that amazes me is that the car is always unlocked and the windows are ALWAYS down...rain or shine!   There are all kinds of CDs, packs of cigarettes, etc.  just left there waiting for somebody to steal them. 

About ten days ago, I was finally able to catch the owner standing by her car.  You may be mad at me for this but I call her “The fat girl”.  Why?  Because she IS a fat girl.  She looks Spanish or Brazilian but speaks excellent English. It turns out she recently moved into the neighborhood.  She used the old “Well I have no place to park/what am I supposed to do?!” line.  I told her, “Look, if you’re really STUCK, then park it in our dirt/gravel lot.  I really don’t want people parking here at all, but I know it’s tough to find a space.  Just put the car  in our dirt/gravel lot and I won’t bother you.”

Well, about two-thirds of the time she does, but about one third she parks it in the paved lot.  AND you’ll see her out there with her friends, socializing like it’s a Latin festival or something.  Today, I came onto the church property and there the junky Honda was parked in the paved lot.  I called the police to “run the plate” for me just to make sure it’s registered and all that stuff.  (The towing companies give me a hard time about towing unless I can prove to them the car is legally registered. Maybe another time I’ll write about how we’ve had to handle abandoned cars with no I.D. or V.I.N.)  I left her a note on the car telling her I’ve asked her to park it in the dirt/gravel lot, and I’m asking her again, AND telling her if she persists on parking in the paved lot, I won’t hesitate to have it towed.

Honestly,  I am SO tempted to just take the CDs and other junk out of her car and just put them someplace and when she flips and asks if I took them, I’ll tell her, “Yes, how does it feel to experience someone having no regard for YOUR property?!”.  The only thing is, I really don’t know how the law looks at that.  If that car is on “my” property and is unlocked, do I have the right to go into it and take stuff out of it? I’m not sure if I do.  AND when you’re dealing with the type of person she appears to be, you can have a car towed or something like that, and three days later, you may arrive and find the church building covered in graffiti, or the windows smashed, etc.

So, this is where Matthew 5:38-39 can be really tough.  Where is Moses when ya need him?! (Just kidding about Moses, but SERIOUSLY, I’d love to hear from you at revrbaril@aol.com  or you can leave a comment here.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

taking her stuff would probably set a bad example for the whole church, though... that might be pushing it... i don't know if it's legal or not.

but as long as there's a big, tempting space to park in a very crowded neighborhood, there will always be people trying to get around the rules... reminds me of the guy in my dorm who keeps coming past our room and erasing the messages and pictures we write on the white board-- and recently he's stolen 3 dry erase markers (they're expensive!) and it's happening with kassie's white board too... it's frustrating, cuz sometimes we leave messages that need to stay up there, and now i can't even write a message, cuz the marker's gone! I left a note saying "stop being a jerk and give our marker back NOW" but who knows what that will do...

it's the little things that get so irritating... best not to get too frustrated...

Anonymous said...

Tow, tow tow!

Anonymous said...

yeah I agree with Rach about the stealing of the stuff...tho I would like to as well!

At least you aren't having to tow cars every Sunday morning any more!